Sunday, March 29, 2015

Easter Pageant

Friday we drove up to Mesa to see the Easter Pageant. We don't go every year.  The children are still young enough that if we were just there before the show to see the dressed up participants and animals wandering around they'd be satisfied.  In fact this may be the more enriching part for them since they get to touch and interact.  Some of the actors give brilliant, testimony filled, teaching answers to the kids' simple questions.  One man when asked who he was in the play responded "I'm a disciple of Christ"  then simply explained the difference between an apostle and a disciple and brought it home to the children by further sharing that they are also disciples if they follow Christ, even if they are dressed in now-a-days clothes.

Cairn's favorite pageant memories:

The songs.  I liked hearing the animals every time they "baaaa-ed."  And I really liked the angels blowing the trumpets.  I felt like I was one of the shepherds getting a really special message.  I liked being with my family.

When I went to the pageant I felt like I was there with Jesus.  I was one of the children so happy.  I imagined what it would be like.

Cerise's favorite parts:

The part of seeing baby Jesus and Mary dancing.  (Grant always ridicules this part because Mary gets up from the Nativity scene supposedly just having had a baby and dances for several minutes all over the stage)  I saw Jesus, some one acting out Jesus.  And I liked the parts seeing the angels blowing the trumpets.

I feel really warm when I think about Jesus.  I feel the Holy Ghost.

Gauge's Response:

Boo boo.  I like the sheep.

Grant's thoughts too:

The best part about going to the pageant is going up as a family and being with the kids as they discover the animals and costumes and are reminded of the real meaning of Easter. Gauge sat on my lap pretty much the whole pre-show and when I pointed out the people going up ladders into the light booths several stories in the air, he said he wanted to climb the ladders too. He pointed out all the airplanes to me going overhead.  During the show, Cerise had the attention span to either say "There's Jesus!" or "Where is Jesus?"  The show itself is a simple and straightforward testimony of the life of Jesus Christ, with some things good (the dancers for the parable of the ten virgins, the costumes, some of the effects, like torches, real animals, trap doors for the actors to make quick transitions) and some things bad (all of the voice acting is pre-recorded, and I always feel like they could do a lot more / better things with the angels). Overall its an enjoyable show, but I don't think I could bear to go every year.

Back to Carrie 

My favorite part was having Gauge and Aster on my lap hugging and giggling through out the show.  Those two have a sweet relationship that I just love to see manifested.

No comments:

Post a Comment